Heidi

My Photo
Mom, desperately trying to get the health thing right! I started this blog so that I can pass along all the great things that I learn everyday on damage control for our wonderful bodies. It is tough to keep up sometimes with all the things going on in our daily lives so hopefully some of the helpful hints that I provide can make your life easier and healthier. I welcome your comments and tips as well! I am a vegetarian, animal rights advocate and avid animal rescuer.
View my complete profile
Google
 
2011-07-19

Vitamin D You Are The One For Me! 10 Reasons To Get Your Vitamin D! Eat These Foods And You Will Be Sunshine Happy

The benefits of vitamin D (often known as the sunshine vitamin) keep surprising researchers as the list of benefits from it keep showing themselves. Just take a look below at all the benfits your body can reap from a little of the sunshine vitamin.  Now I will admit absolute disappointment to not see Cheetos, chocolate and martinis on the food list below but I guess I can't have everything. 

10 Great Reasons To Get Your Vitamin D

1. Brain- Cuts stroke risk-may help prevent depression

2. Eyes-Lowers risk of macular degeneration

3. Mouth-Decreases risk of gum disease

4. Heart-Lowers chances of cardiovascular disease

5. Lungs-May reduce lung cancer risk

6. Breast-Cuts chances or breast cancer

7. Back-Lessens likelihood of chronic pain

8. Legs-Fights age-related weakness

9. Calves-Lowers risk of blocked leg arteries

10. Bones-Strengthens


Vitamin D Rich Foods


Wild salmon 3 oz = 420 IU

Atlantic mackerel 3 oz = 320 IU

Sardines 1 can = 250 IU

Shrimp 3 oz = 150 IU

Skim and 1% low-fat milk 1 cup = 100 IUS

Shittake mushrooms 4 items = 260 IU

Fortified yogurts like Dannon Light & Fit 1 cup = 80 IU

Fortified cereals:Multigrain Cheerios 1 cup = 40 IU; Post Bran Flakes 1 cup = 40 IU; Kashi Vive 1¼ cup = 80

Now with all these benefits I can understand why my cats love to find a place in the nice warm sun and curl up. Keep in mind that current U.S. guidelines recommend for 200-600 IU of D per day (depending on age) but many experts recommend at least 1,000 IU of D per day. So, by eating vitamin D rich foods, taking a vitamin D supplement or whole food multi (that is what I do-see pops in the upper left hand corner) and getting 15 minutes of sun on your hands a few times a week you will be all set!

Source-December 2008 Good Housekeeping

5 comments:

Reiki said...
lucky for me who lives in a tropical country, for me the power of the sun is enough to get my daily needs of Vitamin D, no need for a supplement.
Kloggers/Polly said...
What is becoming frighteningly more common throughout the Western world is the fact that more and more people are becoming deficient in vitamin D. Experts believe that it is due to the fact that we all spend less time out of doors and so do not get natural doses from the sun.
One young girl in England developed 'rickets' because of sunblock or sun cream ... http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1348235/Tyler-Attrill-12-risk-rickets-mother-used-factor-50-suncream.html

I think it is time that we all try and increase our daily intake of this vitamin ... this post is a very useful reminder to us all, Heidi.
Willy said...
Vitamin d comes from sun. Sun - sun and other things makes Willy hot.

10-4 Willy
sexylegsandbody said...
Hi Heidi, thanks for the visit, I trust you are doing well, and still feel as beautiful and you look. :)
Take care and be good.
Colin.
betchai said...
oh, these are wonderful information again, i have ample sun from my boogie boarding. oh, chocolates are awesome though, what do vitamins they have?

Post a Comment