Microwaves and Your Health-Quick, Hot Food- But Is It Worth It?

I love my microwave (well not anymore since it blew up this weekend but I did) and to be honest have heard the whisperings that it was dangerous to use. I'm an on the go person and did not want to hear that using my microwave would cause any problems. Some people that I respect immensely and know just about everything there is to know about health warned me about my microwave a few months ago. I listened (in one ear and out the other) but didn't want to hear this. No, no, no! Since starting this blog and becoming more health conscious I kept thinking and thinking every time I used the microwave (like 5 times a day-I'm no cook). Finally, when my microwave blew up this weekend I decided to look into the whole microwave danger issue to decide what my next step would be.

I found several articles and most kept coming back to the same source so I will give you a quick rundown and it is up to you if you want to follow through and read the rest of the article at the end of my post.
Almost 90% of the U.S. population own microwaves. Apparently microwaves distort the molecular structure of the foods (don't know what that means but it doesn't sound good). They destroy much of the nutrients and cause many other problems with the immune system over a period of time (hmmm, this is getting sticky). Studies on the effects of microwaves have been quite controversial as microwave technology has evolved over the years. In 1976 Russia even banned the use of microwaves.

Microwaves have been shown to affect foods in these ways-

1.) Reduce levels of vitamin B 12. Vitamin B 12 is essential for red blood cell formation, preventing anemia, and a healthy nervous system.
2.) Decrease flavonoids by 97%! Flavonoids have anti-inflammatory, anti-cancer, and anti-microbial properties.
3.)Break down bacteria-digesting enzymes in breast milk. Babies rely on enzymes from breast milk to establish a healthy inner ecosystem that digests food, absorbs nutrients and protects against pathogens.
4.)Lower levels of sinapic acid derivatives. Sinapic acids scavenge for and neutralize free radicals, cancer-causing agents in your body.
5.) Decrease antibody levels in breast milk. Antibodies in mother's milk protect babies from infections.
-
The article- Radiation Ovens: The Proven Dangers of Microwaves by Anthony Wayne and Lawrence Newell goes on to state the following-

Ten Reasons to Throw out your Microwave Oven

1.) Continually eating food processed from a microwave oven causes long term - permanent - brain damage by “shorting out” electrical impulses in the brain [de-polarizing or de-magnetizing the brain tissue].
2.) The human body cannot metabolize [break down] the unknown by-products created in microwaved food.
3.) Male and female hormone production is shut down and/or altered by continually eating microwaved foods.
4.) The effects of microwaved food by-products are residual [long term, permanent] within the human body.
5.) Minerals, vitamins, and nutrients of all microwaved food is reduced or altered so that the human body gets little or no benefit, or the human body absorbs altered compounds that cannot be broken down.
6.) The minerals in vegetables are altered into cancerous free radicals when cooked in microwave ovens.
7.) Microwaved foods cause stomach and intestinal cancerous growths [tumors]. This may explain the rapidly increased rate of colon cancer in America.
8.) The prolonged eating of microwaved foods causes cancerous cells to increase in human blood.
9.) Continual ingestion of microwaved food causes immune system deficiencies through lymph gland and blood serum alterations.
10.) Eating microwaved food causes loss of memory, concentration, emotional instability, and a decrease of intelligence (At least I now have a reason for forgetting everything).

Now, I am not telling anyone what to do but it is an interesting article and if you would like to read the full article then go here. I have decided that I am going to cut down and try to stop altogether using a microwave and actually (gasp) cook. I do think moderation is the key and if your not ready to give up your microwave don't-just use it less. I am going to purchase a small convection oven that is like a toaster oven but heats things more evenly and twice as fast as a regular oven. I'll let you know how it goes.

On a more cheery note and not related to health at all, I want to tell you about a fun contest that I am participating in and that you can participate in too if you feel so inclined. Being a new blogger I am realizing just how important back links are. You never know which link will bring you traffic or that may be the conversion you are looking for. Mcneri's Mcweb will be compiling a list of Blogs/Websites and their link phrase keywords to be displayed on his site at the beginning of every month (great way to possibly get traffic). You can earn entrecard credits and the top entries for the preceding month will get reviewed as featured blog in the Blogs of Focus for the month- free! It's really simple (It had to be or I could not have done it) so check out Mcneri's contest here. Also, in case you aren't looking to be in a contest but are interested in relevant and easy to comprehend blogging tips you will want to check out his site.
Best,
Heidi

15 comments:

  1. Scary stuff. I usually cook my meals in bulk. I then split them up into portions and freeze them. So the first portion is eaten right out of the oven but then the leftovers are usually microwaved. Maybe I need to invest in a convection oven too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I know a lot of people that use only their microwaves to cook. I'll be passing this along.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always been suspicious of using my microwave too much. Far better to use a conventional oven whenever possible!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heidi, thanks for the microwave info.. one more thing about them that you didn't mention. I have a child with a hear condition. He has a pacemaker. They say that the new pacers are not effected by microwaves as long as the microwave is in good working condition. Did you know that yours wasn't befor it "blew up"? I wouldn't have. I have also read alot of info on microwaving in plastic containers. (scary, scary.) thank you for putting this info out there so people can make an educated decision..

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey heidi,

    I never liked using microwave ovens. I think I've used them less than 5 times throughout my cooking lifespan :)

    By the way, I've tagged you. Check out how to proceed in my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was surprised to find out all this on microwaves and had no idea anything was wrong with mine before it started sparking, smoking and blew up (of course I had company over when this happened). Stacey-thank you for the additional information. I did not know that and it is just scary. The plastics in the microwave are frightening too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My 15 year old microwave is on its way out. Maybe another six months, or a year? I'm surprised its still working! But, I'm going to have a hard time convincing my sons we don't need it. I reheated food on the stove not too long ago, and they asked "OMG, why are you cooking it twice? You said that was bad!" Took me forever to convince them I wasn't cooking it, just reheating. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very interesting article. I try not to use my microwave for cooking just small heating, but it is probably best not to use it at all. With four children (three 4 and under) sometimes nuking something really quickly is the only way to keep the peace and get some peace! :-)

    An-t-way... thanks for the information. BTW: I hopped over from LinkReferral... nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, that's interesting. Thank you for the info. I never really knew that microwaves were that bad for you.. I will probably keep using mine. I only really use it, to reheat leftovers. Although I have to admit, I don't care for the way it heats food such as pizza and pasta's. I prefer to use the oven or stove top, but if I'm in a hurry I will nuke it. I like cooking, so thankfully I think I fall in the category of moderate use.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Okay Health Nut, we will soon all be brain dead......and then our carers will get brain dead too. I got an email a few months back about how dangerous the bye-products of microwaves was. Important I agree but hey: is it worse than the gaping ozone layer? They said stuff about cellphones. I am not inclined to change until someone wins some money in court for damages caused by microwaves. Until then, I will still use the equipment. When I get these nasty chemicals, I am sure my doctor and my pharmacist as well as my congresswoman will have it too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. There is definitely some controversy out there about microwaves. My personal view is that if it means the difference between you and your family eating a bowl full of steamed veges or getting macca's for dinner, then keep using your microwave. At least until there is rigorous evidence against them.
    Convenience is a big factor in many people's lifestyle choices!

    ReplyDelete
  12. We used our microwave for so many years. Over the last year or so we have scaled way back. We have a built in and it gets very little use. Only to thaw out meats that I've forgotten to take out in the morning. :))

    Thanks for the information!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gosh are microwaves the new plastic baby bottles??? My classmates all are always telling me to get rid of my microwave, but I am hesitant because it is a huge luxurious convenience to do away with. But I will try and cook less with it. Eventually I want to be a raw foodist so that will make it easy!

    Love your blog...I am going to bookmark you right now!

    ReplyDelete
  14. hey I heard a rumor that microwaves cause cancer. is that at all true? I looked online and couldn't get a definite answer.

    ~tAiNt~

    The Mexican Taint Downloads Blog

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'd studies all these same supposed negatives of Microwaves about 5 years ago, and concluded that counterbalances in my vitamin / mineral input had to compensate. I am a widower with less than zero cooking talent, so I have to make do, cross my fingers and hope for the best.

    ReplyDelete

Fat, Fat I Ain't Down With That! Easy Tips To Revive Your Metabolism!

 I get a little lazy in winter since generally the swimsuit is many months away however this year I am determined to not let the holidays an...