Sugar For Those Sweet Memories-Come on over sugar!

Hey sugar, sugar.......

As I have gotten older I have noticed that sometimes I tend to be more forgetful than I have been in the past. I have always attributed it to a combination of things such as being busy, age and just my general personality. Now there is some good news as one of my favorite things in the world-sugar- has been shown in recent studies to improve memory in elderly people . Now as much as I love sugar I also know that it must be eaten in moderation or can wreak havoc on our bodies so as good as this is just remember not to go out and eat and eat lots of sugary cakes and candies.

According to my book Nature’s Prescriptions, a recent study showed the effects of sugar on elderly people’s memory. The test was done early in the morning before anyone had eaten breakfast. One group drank a glass of lemonade and the other group drank a glass of lemonade with saccharin. Researchers found that the group who had drank the sugary drink performed better on memory tests a short time later.


In a related study, people who ate sugar just after reading something remembered it better a day later than those taking saccharin. Researchers aren’t sure how sugar works in the the brain to enhance memory but just know that it does. I cannot stress the importance of eating sugar in moderation as sugar is a big culprit in raising insulin levels which then tells our body to store fat. Don’t forget that sugar can be found in even the most unsuspecting of places like ketchup, spaghetti sauce, bread and even noodles amongst others. Reading labels and watching how much and where you get your sugar from can keep you healthy and bringing back those sweet memories!!

15 comments:

  1. Health Nut:

    Now there are a lot of different sugars. Are you talking plain old cane sugar? If so, I can't tell my Queen because she has a voracious sweet tooth. Personally, I've never liked things too sweet. That's probably why I'm so forgetful.

    Happy trails.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so interesting - I especially like the idea of eating sugar after reading something that I want to remember!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is new to me! But I think it's better not purposely eat any sugar at all, cos most of the food we eat already contain sugar.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting Heidi...makes me wonder if the saccharin inhibits memory which gives the appearance that sugar enhances it??? Researchers have said we should limit our intake of artificial sweeteners because of possible side effects...

    I do try to limit sugar because I find once I start I crave it...cravings also happens to me with starchy carbs.

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting information, Heidi. In our modern society, sugar seems unavoidable. I agree with you, moderation is definitely the key.

    ReplyDelete
  6. since i need to be taking test, i should be eating my chocolates probably after i study or read :) thanks.

    actually, when i was in college, i had chocolates when i take exams, i don't know, for self confidence maybe, but i suffered then from hypoglycemia, and having chocolates pacifies me that if i get headache, i can have some, and also, it always gives me excellent test scores :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't know any woman with kids, working,etc who has a good memory....or guilt/worries for that matter.

    But back to the sugar, should I bring a book when I go for Ice Cream....you know...a good excuse

    ReplyDelete
  8. Maybe I should then take a whole lot of suger first thing in the morning coz if I dont put a reminder on my phone to tell me to do something, it will just not get done... could it be old age, or lack of sugar, or a bit of both...? Interesting post Mom.

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's good to know there is some benefit to sugar and I would never have guessed memory would be it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I try to cut down on my sugar intake and have been drinking my usual cups of tea without the sugar. I'm horrified to know that sugar is found in so many items. duh.

    ReplyDelete
  11. See, there's somtehing good about sugar! Dark chocolate is also the new brain food, helps improve blood flow to the brain, which could slow the mental decline that occurs as we age. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's good news to me, Because I love some kinds of sugar, specially black sugar, they think it's good for our health too!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey there gorgeous! It's encouraging to me to see a "health nut" not being fanatical about such things as sugar. For it is as you said, it should be taken in moderation, and what may be okay for you, may not be okay for me. Tragically, far too many take things way too far, and far too many follow them like sheep.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Talking of sugar - there have recently been tests done on every day cereals and it has been found that many now contain a third more sugar than they did around ten to fifteen years ago. On top of this we are encouraged to eat more fruit and vegetables nowadays ... many of these are also packed with natural sugars. Perhaps we are all eating a lot more sugar than we think we are and it is said to be more addictive than both A class drugs and tobacco. No wonder that many of us crave something sweet!

    ReplyDelete

Fat, Fat I Ain't Down With That! Easy Tips To Revive Your Metabolism!

 I get a little lazy in winter since generally the swimsuit is many months away however this year I am determined to not let the holidays an...