Ava Saves A Baby Squirrel!

I know that I generally write about health since this is a health blog but I thought that today I would share with you a wonderful story about the cutest little baby squirrel that Ava (my 6 year old daughter) and I were able to save.

Since I enjoy and appreciate wildlife, I have tried to create a refuge for the wildlife in my neighborhood by putting in a small pond and planting plants that the animals can eat from year round in my backyard. I also put out various bird feeders and squirrel and duck food (somehow a couple of ducks found my tiny pond and come each summer) daily.

Generally when spring arrives we are found with a few wildlife emergencies but this year we had not had rescued but one small robin so it was interesting that Friday morning Ava mentioned how we had not found any injured animals in awhile. I was relieved at this as it is stressful and sometimes regardless of what we do to try and help the wildlife they don't make it. So, as we got home Friday evening Ava started yelling that there was a baby animal hurt or possibly dead. My stomach turned at the thought of it being dead (I get very emotional about these little creatures) and went over to take a look.

There lying in the grass was a tiny little animal with flies buzzing on it and not moving. With a heavy heart I got my gardeners gloves and prepared to have an animal funeral with Ava. You can imagine my surprise and Ava's screams when the little baby jumped in my hands. AHHHHHH-now what and what is this little teeny tiny alive animal that is going to die if I don't do something QUICK? We quickly grabbed a cat carrier, put some warm towels in and put the baby in it. I ran up to the computer and discovered this was a baby squirrel that was dehydrated and needed to get its body temperature up quick or death was imminent.

Panicking Ava and I put a heating pad under some towels and wrapped the baby in blankets while we ran to buy Pedialyte to restore electrolytes. With a syringe we fed the baby warmed up Gatorade and Pedialyte every two hours throughout the evening and morning (need I tell you that I got no sleep at all that night) until our local wildlife rescue center opened and we could take him there.

It was cute because once he was warmed up a bit and feeling a bit better he started whistling very loudly and walking around. When we arrived at Operation Wildlife we were told that he looked great and we had done a good job of getting him hydrated and keeping him warm.

I hope once he is ready to be released back into the wild he can be released here. We named him Fuzzy and are already attached (would love to see him running around the yard with the other squirrels). I love that my daughter Ava loves animals so much and understands the importance of treating all creatures with kindness and love. This made my day and this is one of the reasons I get up in the morning. I am a big believer in the power of one-even if you can help one animal, or one person in all your life then I feel you have done something to make the world and your heart a better place.

P.S. That is him in the picture!

41 comments:

  1. That is a great story ... and you're right, what a cute lil fella!!

    My brother nursed a squirrel back to health in his room when we were kids. Dad was not to happy, but did not stop him. He ended up going back to the woods healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so sweet. It reminds me of my boyfriend's family who saved a baby kangaroo when they lived in the Australian country — they simulated a pouch for it and fed it milk from a small milk bottle because it lost its mummy. She grew to a teenager and was the family's favourite pet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. He is so adorable! I am so happy to read that you were able to save him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for being HUMAN (post below) and for making my morning brighter (saying that I make you think after you read MizFit)

    off to conquer :) my morning---

    M.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You guys did a great job in helping that baby squirrel survive. Yeah, that would be nice if he could be released where you found him in your area. What a neat animal rescue story :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Heidi,
    What a nice story. I have never seen a baby squirrel. I think it is just great that you and your daughter helped save his life. I hope you will be able to get him back. Sometimes, we have some squirrels come in our back yard, from the woods. They are pretty to look at and fun to watch. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic story! I would be very interested if you did another post about HOW to put a pond in your yard. I always wanted to do that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is absolutely awesome! I have never actually seen a baby squirrel, not sure I would've known what it was. I'm so glad this story has a happy ending and I do hope Fuzzy is relocated back to your neighborhood.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great person you are Heidi, great story thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your post made my day! I'm so glad you knew what to do and were able to save this little critter's life!

    ReplyDelete
  11. All I can say is good for you! Honestly, how many people would take the time to save a baby squirrel?

    Not many, I bet...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great story! I had almost the same experience a couple years back. Our back yard is very conducive to wildlife as well. This will be a great childhoold memory for your daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a great story! Squirrels are one of my favorite animals. I'm glad you were able to save the little fella!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a tiny little thing...a great story...we have many squirrels and chipmunks in your yard and it is so much fun to watch them work...

    The chipmunks in particular are very tame and will feed from our hand...my grandson enjoys feeding the peanuts, which they love.

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's so cute.

    I have a squirrel lately that eating my rasperries right off the bush right now. At first I got mad, but then said to myself...well your not picking them...so I'm letting him get lots of vitamin C ?

    He's cute and bold, sits right near me (and my cat) while he's picking the low ones. I didn't know squirrels like berries...but they do love my pear tree!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a sweet story! I'm so glad that you found Fuzzy and knew what to do help him make it through the night. I absolutely love animals and it's nice to hear stories like this and also that Ava is such an animal lover too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sounds like you did a wonderful thing! And he is soooo cute! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Like Robin, I had never seen a baby squirrel before. Though many of them enjoy playing in my backyard, they always do a great job of keeping the babies hidden. :-) Thanks for sharing.

    ...What a wonderful lesson for your daughter to learn.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Such sweet story. I wouldn't know what to do if I were the ones in your shoes. Am glad he's saved .. he looks so cute and adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  20. How precious he looks! Lucky for him that Ava (and her Mom) came to his rescue! I so would have wanted to keep him!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  21. It's so good to hear that from you! Nice thing we have such people who are nature lovers like you in which we all know in return has great reward in exchange for our goodness as well as being an open hearted person..I wanted to thank you as well for the comment you posted on my site! Just feel free to visit anytime.. Thanks and God bless you and your family, have a nice day too!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Nice story...

    You are right life is precious, we sometimes forget that.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Oh my goodness! What a heartwarming & compassionate story. I hope Fuzzy is doing well.

    ☼ Rocki

    ReplyDelete
  24. What an adorable little guy. You're lucky, out here our wildlife is mostly rattlesnakes and scorpions and big hairy spiders.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your story made me feel Fuzzy all over.lol Have a sunny day.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Beautiful story Heidi (and Ava)!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I had no idea that a baby squirrel looked like a cross between a small dog and a rabbit. :)

    My kids are the same way-- we've rescued frogs, birds, bunnies, etc. One year our cat killed a sparrow we were on the way to save and it was devastating. :(

    All the best.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow that is adorable Heidi. So sweet of you and your daughter to save the squirrel. I love animals.

    ReplyDelete
  29. aw, cute... did the same for some baby birds once... after their mommy got eaten by a neighborhood cat...

    J/

    ReplyDelete
  30. awwwwww what a Lovely Nutty Sweet Story*

    U certainly knew what to do Keeping him Warm + getting some Fluids into him*

    Job Well Done U 2 Nature Lovers*

    ;)) Peace*

    ReplyDelete
  31. Awwww. He's adorable! I hope your caring will be able to save him.

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Bless you and Ava! I hope he gets stronger and when he's a little fussy, you may want to feature him again....

    ReplyDelete
  33. how sweet! Kudos to you both for coming ot the rescue and keeping watch over him. He's one lucky little squirrel. Wonder why the poor little guy was abandoned . . . ? Hopefully the momma is alright.

    ReplyDelete
  34. wow! I never seen such a cute, new born squirrel before!

    ReplyDelete
  35. what a sweet little heart ava has. not to mention you, heidi, for taking the time and energy to care about more than just people. i guess i wouldn't expect any less from you...

    ReplyDelete
  36. This post reminds me of the time, years ago, when my little brother and I rescued a squirrel. We saved him and nursed him back to health.

    We were so proud!

    Then the big day came when we were to release the squirrel back into his natural habitat. We proudly stood in our front yard, opened up his comfortable cage, and let him go. "Run free!" we yelled.

    The squirrel hesitated, as they always do, then darted out of his cage, running across the road and back into the wild.

    Then a truck ran him over.

    ReplyDelete
  37. hallo und unbekannterweise ein netter gruß aus
    saarbrücken. wünsche ein sonniges, jedoch nicht zu
    heißes wochenende mit viel speiseeis und wenig arbeit.
    nette grüße
    erich

    ReplyDelete
  38. I used to have 2 pet squirrels....they were awesome! They tore up the house as they got older....but were still fun and energetic...

    I now have 2 sugargliders, half the size, double the cuteness and can fit in my pocket :-)

    ReplyDelete
  39. Ay what a super cute story!!!!!

    I love squirrels, I'm happy the baby was saved :)

    ReplyDelete
  40. I have 1 rescued squirrel who will be 8 months. He is the star of our life! He had a broken jaw and unable to be released. I have a permit. He is spoiled rotten! Our dogs and ferrets get along, most of the time. Rocky the squirrel teases them. He has the run of the house! We love him..
    jeanniehepler@yahoo.com Thanks for your love in caring for the baby squirrel...

    ReplyDelete
  41. So cute, Thanks for sharing an interesting and cooooool story with us....Great..

    ReplyDelete

Fat, Fat I Ain't Down With That! Easy Tips To Revive Your Metabolism!

 I get a little lazy in winter since generally the swimsuit is many months away however this year I am determined to not let the holidays an...