Gourmet Superfoods That Kick Those Regular Superfoods Booty!!!!


As more and more evidence emerges that what we eat is one of the most important things we do to ourselves to determine everything from aging to disease prevention, below are some superfoods that you may not be getting enough of but you wish you were.

French Lentils- Hmmmmm-never knew there was such a thing however these are high in fiber (one third your U.S. RDA in a single half-cup serving). Lentils are a wonderful way to prevent diabetes, regulate blood sugar and are a great meat substitute (wonderful if you are a vegetarian like me). French lentils (green colored) are more delicate and peppery than the usual supermarket.


Figs-According to one report, a single serving of figs contains more polyphenols (recently linked to longevity) than tea or red wine. The are also high in iron which in turn helps you to stave off anemia and fatigue. When I was younger one of my best friend’s dad had a fig farm and I ate them all the time and loved them. I really recommend these


Walnuts-Love walnuts, love, love, love walnuts and hope you do to because a single ounce contains more than the U.S. recommended daily amount of omega-3’s. Most nuts are also great sources of cardio-protective monounsaturated fats and hypertension-fighting L-arginine. A study published in the British Medical Journal linked eating them regularly to a 35 percent reduced risk of coronary heart disease.


Gooseberries-Tart tasting but high in cancer-fighting vitamin C, vitamin A, calcium and iron. They kick the delicious and infamous blueberries booty by containing 50 percent more anti-oxidants.


Avocado-High in fiber they contain 11 to 17 grams in just one fruit. A 2005 study in the Journal of Nutritional Biochemistry reported that avocados contain enough lutein to stop cancer growth in a lab experiment. Lutein also contributes to eye health.


Guava-Has to be one of my all time favorites and is totally edible from skin to seeds if ripe. Sometimes known as the apple of the tropics is chocked full of antioxidants and potassium, which helps keep blood pressure in check.


Greek Yogurt-Maybe I am uncultured but I have never heard of this but will definitely be looking into it. This strained creamy Greek yogurt has a significantly higher amount of protein than your average yogurt, along with high levels of calcium. A study in the International Journal of Obesity found that dieters eating three servings of fat-free yogurt a day lost 22 percent more weight and 61 percent more body fat than other dieters.


Cremini Mushrooms-These are known for their rich flavor and a 2006 German study found that Cremini mushrooms have several microbial properties that could protect your body from disease and infection.


Sunchokes-Taste like artichokes but are more closely related to potatoes. They do not have as much blood sugar boosting starch and and are loaded with vitamins A and B, potassium, iron, calcium and magnesium.

Granted these are not your typical foods that you will easily find at the supermarket but check the gourmet food sections, specialty shops and amazon.com gourmet food area. They are healthy and might add a fun variety to your normal eating routine. MMMMMMMM! Enjoy!
ref more.com

14 comments:

  1. Heidi:

    All good stuff. When I was a little kid, we'd drive down to the ocean to visit my uncle Bob's mother and dad. They had fig trees growing all over their back yard, and she'd always have a cookie jar filled with figs that she'd picked, dried and coated in sugar. Yumboza, lip smacking good. I know--sugar. But they were so good.

    Another great post.

    Happy trails.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an interesting selection of foods that I had no idea were so good for me. I love walnuts but can't say I've had much of the others on the list but I will certainly give them a try. Thanks for the info!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another fantastic list, thanks Heidi. Now I'm hungry...for something super!

    peace,
    mike
    livelife365

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great list and a beautiful new profile pic of you and your friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. great list you have here, I love mushrooms I'm glad its on your list

    ReplyDelete
  6. As always an informative and interesting post Heidi...I've always felt we are what we eat!!

    Nice to have you stop by...I've been crazy busy as I'm sure you have been as well!

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow... what a great list! It's full of stuff I love. Now I'll take even better care of my health :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. thanks again for these piece of information heidi, i too love walnuts and guava. we do call guava in the philippines as our apple :) . oh, i love avocados too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was wondering where am I going to get some of the unusual food mentioned here. :)

    To the Chinese, the walnut is a brain food. I often make walnut paste for dessert and serve to my family.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Once again I learn something new about health and foods to eat every time. Got to get some walnuts and more avocados.Guava is great too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. hmmm, love gooseberries, have a plant growing in my yard.
    Great post.
    Colin.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Interesting list, I feel like I'm learning about new foods! I do love avocados, just wish they weren't so high in fat. They are awfully healthy, for many reasons though and I believe that far outweighs the fat content and will continue to eat them!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's so interesting. I absolutely LOVE Greek yoghurt but had always assumed it was probably really fatty and bad for me if I ate too much of it. I will only be eating more from now on hehe :) It's great with a serving of fruit salad or even on the side of a hot apple pie

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ahh, we had a fig tree when I was growing up. Oh, how I miss those figs straight off the tree. The preserves on homemade biscuits still bring warm moments to mind. Now, I need to get my hands on some gooseberries. :-) Thanks for the post Heidi.

    ReplyDelete

Fat, Fat I Ain't Down With That! Easy Tips To Revive Your Metabolism!

 I get a little lazy in winter since generally the swimsuit is many months away however this year I am determined to not let the holidays an...