Give These 10 Power Foods To Give You Energy and Rev Up Your Engine

An Oldie But A Goodie!

Everyday that I write this blog I become more and more aware of how important the right diet is for our overall health, immune system, body weight, energy level, moods and so much more. If you are anything at all like me then you need all the energy you can get to keep up with all the things each day puts in front of you. The below foods will get and keep you going full of energy as well as giving your immune system a nice boost.

Healthy Foods To Give You A Natural Boost

**Berries-Ooooohhhh, I love berries and now I have even more reasons! Strawberries, raspberries, blueberries and blackberries are high in vitamin and fiber content, they're an excellent source of antioxidants, compounds that protect our bodies from the stress of day to day living, and fresh berries are kind to the waistline; they are naturally high in water and low in calories. Dried berries also provide excellent nutrition, but since most of the water is missing, their calories are more concentrated and you’ll usually wind up eating more of them.

**Citrus-Citrus fruits are loaded with vitamin C; one orange has a whole day’s requirement.They’re also loaded with soluble fiber which lowers cholesterol, maintains healthy blood sugar levels, and helps you to manage your weight.

**Salmon-Cold-water fish, like salmon, mackerel and herring, are premiere sources of omega-3 essential fatty acids. These are fats our bodies can’t produce, so it’s essential we include them in our diet. If you read my post about healthy hair, you will notice salmon was included in that post as well.

**Vegetables-There’s no such thing as a bad vegetable so eat up. Vegetables are packed with vitamins, minerals and fiber, and are a crucial component of any healthy eating plan. Orange and yellow-hued veggies like winter squash, carrots and sweet potatoes and leafy greens contain carotenoids, a pigment our body converts to vitamin A. Eating lots of these vegetables will help maintain healthy skin and hair, protect against prostate cancer, promote healthy vision and even provide protection from sunburn. Lycopene, the plant chemical responsible for the ruby red of tomatoes and watermelon, is believed to fight cancer and promote heart health. Green vegetables like broccoli and spinach are sky-high in potent anti-cancer compounds like sulforaphane and quercitin.

**Nuts and Seeds-Almonds, pecans and pistachios are rich in protein. Walnuts contain omega-3 fatty acids. Toss sesame seeds in a meal for extra calcium and vitamin E. Sesame, sunflower and pumpkin seeds are particularly good sources of phytosterols, also known as plant sterols, which promote heart health. These are easy to take with you for on the go energy. I take nuts everywhere and eat them all day. As I have mentioned probably a hundred times-nuts are my number one diet secret!

**Olive oil-Olive oil is an excellent source of heart-healthy monounsaturated fats that may lower the bad cholesterol and raise the good cholesterol. It contains Vitamin E and antioxidants and is an excellent replacement for unhealthy saturated fats like butter. I take a spoon full of olive oil before eating spaghetti so the bad fats in the pasta can't make me fat. Extra virgin olive oil is also great for healthy skin.

**Tea- Recent studies have shown drinking green tea might boost metabolism, oolong teas can lower blood sugar, and black teas can promote oral health. Tea contains half the caffeine of coffee and packs a punch of polyphenols, powerful antioxidants believed to protect against heart disease, certain cancers and stroke.

**Legumes-Beans, peas, peanuts and lentils are all part of the legume family. Legumes are rich in folic acid, calcium, iron, potassium, zinc and antioxidants. Their high protein and complex carbohydrates provide steady energy that lasts for hours. Also great for vegetarians (like me) who need protein.

**Whole grains-They’re delicious, inexpensive and packed with protein, B vitamins, minerals and fiber. Some immediate benefits you might notice are stable blood sugar, less hunger between meals, and better weight management.

**Lean Protein-Protein is an important part of every diet and is found in many different foods. Lean protein, the best kind, can be found in fish, skinless chicken and turkey, pork tenderloin and certain cuts of beef, like the top round. Low-fat dairy products like milk, yogurt, ricotta and other cheeses supply both protein and calcium. I also love extra firm tofu for a great protein!
It is very clear that whole grains, nuts, low-fat dairy, and fruits and veggies are essential for so many positive benefits to our health.
ref-The Food Network

23 comments:

  1. thanks for this tip, I really need this... energy boosters!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is all good to know as we go into a dreary winter when I need all the energy boost I can get! Thanks Heidi!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i agree, there is no such thing as a bad vegetable :) and i love beans too, and most of them that you listed here, thanks again for sharing this wonderful health benefit Heidi.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It seems to be scientific proof now that tyhe above is how we are all SUPPOSED to eat...that being said, I wonder how many people are out there reading this today while munching away on Halloween candy (and washing that down with a Diet Pepsi) ?

    ReplyDelete
  5. It seems to be scientific proof now that the above is how we are all SUPPOSED to eat...that being said, I wonder how many people are out there reading this today while munching away on Halloween candy (and washing that down with a Diet Pepsi) ?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for these tips! I am going to try to eat these 10 power foods everyday! Luckily, I like to eat most of them! Yummy! : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also learn a lot from your posts, great to know all the health benefits of these foods! I believe eating balanced diet and all these nutritional foods will make me and my baby (still in my tummy) healthy =)

    have a good day ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wish I have the luxury of eating more berries. All berries in Singapore are imported and they are costly.

    But I still can find the rest on your list at affordable prices. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm really working on my eating, and definitely could use the energy, so thanks for the awesome tips!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Out of your list the only item I don't eat a great deal of is salmon...

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  11. I remember this post when it was first up. I really need to start eating these foods my energy has been really low. Going to go grab some tea as we speak thanks Heidi.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I need all of them because i easily get sick?!!!

    its been a long time here...I wish you a great day!:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Heidi:

    More excellent nutritional advice. Everything on your list tastes wonderful and is filled with healthful vitamins and minerals. So why on earth is it so difficult to stick to healthy foods instead of junk?

    Happy trails

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm having berries in jelly tomorrow, it's setting as I type. Plus being English I drink plenty of tea so tis is great news for me.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Heidi:

    Sadly, my old stomach has gotten so bad that I can hardly eat any of those great items except for the vegetables and the olive oil.

    Happy trails.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You have received an award from Politicus.US. Please visit our site to pick it up.
    Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Great tips! I need to eat more citrus.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Heidi! Hope you are doing ok and that you not updating is a sign of nothing more serious than life getting in the way. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great Blog!
    http://bni-health.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  20. hmmm... I eat most of these food anyway. Looks like I am already taking good care of my body. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. As a medical doctor I understand the importance of those superfoods. Keep up your excellent work here and good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for the tips Heidi! I need some energy :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Many thanks. Its good to be reminded of the foods which provide us with lots of energy, especially at this time of year.

    ReplyDelete

Fat, Fat I Ain't Down With That! Easy Tips To Revive Your Metabolism!

 I get a little lazy in winter since generally the swimsuit is many months away however this year I am determined to not let the holidays an...