Snap Out Of Your Slump With These Healthy Foods

Do you ever feel in a bit of a slump and need something to give you a boost to help snap you out of your mental misery? No need to mope around like a miserable misanthrope feeling blue-here are some great food choices to help boost your mood and get you back in high spirits or at least perk you up a bit.

**Try Some Dessert
- Yes! You read that right, try some dessert! Sugar soothes us when we're feeling stressed out ( I know that to be true and will take full advantage). But before you binge on a pan of brownies, cookies and candy, know that a little sugar may soothe you, but too much will wreak havoc with your blood sugar. So, as always moderation is the key here.

**Beans -Like most legumes, beans are rich in iron. If you're low on iron like many active people are--you can be tired and have trouble sleeping, which as we all know can make you cranky, cranky, cranky. Beans are great thrown in salads, over white rice, in a tortilla with salsa, in chili and soups.

**Bananas-Stress and the lack of magnesium are so closely related that it is a good idea for those who lead an active life to add foods rich in magnesium, such as bananas to their diet. Increasing the intake of magnesium reduces anxiety and makes for better sleeping.

**Oranges-Two glasses of fresh orange juice are enough to help say goodbye to some nervousness, bad moods and depression; lack of vitamin C, can make you irritable and cranky.

**Chocolate-Hurrah! Hurrah! Now I know it cannot get any better than this! Some experts believe that like many other foods sweet and rich in carbohydrates, chocolate can have a soothing effect; others, however, consider that the caffeine and other substances contained in chocolate could act as stimulants. I don't care why, I am just so glad to hear it! Ahem, moderation here though, again.

**Spinach and Lentils-Both Lentils and spinach are full of folate, a B vitamin that you need to make the serotonin that makes you feel good. Folate is strong enough to ease clinical depression, say researchers and low levels of folate have been linked to depression. A cup of cooked lentils provides 90% of the recommended daily allowance of folic acid-so try some lentil soup and be happy and healthy. Also, you could add frozen spinach and make a low-fat spinach dip, have a nice spinach salad or use on sandwiches instead of lettuce.

**Walnuts- Are a great source of omega 3 fatty acids-a type of fat that's needed for brain cells and mood-lifting . Also been shown to relieve mild depression. I love to eat walnuts as a snack but they are also delicious on salads.**Salmon-Salmon is also rich in omega fatty acids and canned Salmon with bones contains vitamin D which has been linked to possibly increasing our levels of serotonin- one of the key neurotransmitters influencing our mood.

A couple other remedies that I have found lift my spirits are physical exercise-take a walk or go to the gym and having an animal companion. My cat Jaap cozies up to me and all is right with the world.

I am going to start having more walnuts, oranges and bananas for snacks and incorporate spinach and lentils into my diet. Don't worry, I already have the desserts and chocolate covered. To feeling better!

37 comments:

  1. Hurray! It's time to celebrate! I like all these food you mentioned - so that, plus my dose of physical exercises will definitely prevent me from falling into a slump! It surely can't get any better than this! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally agree with you on the bananas Heidi. I usually have one as an afternoon snack to provide me with a much needed boost.

    Another thing I would suggest is to drink some tea. It has been linked with reducing cortisol (a stress hormone) and is perfect for getting you out of a slump. Plus, it's a very refreshing drink too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tips Heidi...out of the complete list spinach and lentils are the only items I probably don't eat enough of!!

    I too find a walk to be very mood boosting...at one time I used to to a great deal of cycling and absolutely love it!!!

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Heidi, I do enjoy reading your blog, and have just given you an award. Please visit my blog to collect and get all the details!
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  5. once again, i find it amazing the link between what you eat and how you feel. to think that a little spinach and lentils can lift you out of a slump...

    i knew chocolate works :) but the others, well, they were a surprise to me. thanks for the info healthnutwannabee...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will definitely be adding these foods into my diet. Bananas are great and I had no idea they relieved stress.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We eat a lot of bananas around here. Thanks for the reminder to add those to my grocery list now that we've run out. We could stand to get some walnuts too.

    Davida

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gotta love it when chocolate makes any list of good things! I agree with the animal companions too since I'm writing this with Isabella curled up on my lap.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Heidi!
    Thank goodness I like eating all of these food items except maybe lentils.
    It's true, I do feel my mood lifting after eating a banana.

    Duni

    ps - thanks for you kind comment on my blog☺

    ReplyDelete
  10. Chocolate, mmm, Yummy....

    Heidi, can we ex our links?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ha, I love all these foods too!

    And I also heard that fish can help snap out of slump too, Do you think so heidi? I love fish. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. So will chocolate covered walnuts count? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've recently been trying hard to stick to the healthy diet I know I deserve and I have to say I was surprised to enjoy many of the foods I've discovered, like the beans you mention here. They really do make you feel good!

    ReplyDelete
  14. have you heard of the morning banana diet for losing weight? i want to try that. thanks for sharing these healthy foods. =)

    a {GIRL for all status
    tales of a pinay single mommy
    1716 South
    Garage Sale

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mom loves all of these. She needs to get some bananas today!!

    Sniffie and the Florida Furkids

    ReplyDelete
  16. i eat less on spinach and lits and also beans that sometimes i guess since didnt got yet any dr. to consult that anything if i eat above would cause to my knees ache. i presume its arthritis but i dont know heheh..

    Have a great day Heidi!:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I could use a whole lot of these foods right now! I will tell you the business world if changing dramatically I will need the fuel for my body to keep up with it. THanks heidi I really love all your posts.

    Jesse

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think oprah did this

    Here is a great article i found about
    the acai berrys. I didnt know about this
    stuff and wish i had along time ago. Hope
    this helps.

    http://emergevictoriousoverfat.com/2009/01/acai-berries/

    ReplyDelete
  19. I felt better just reading this, thanks, Heidi!

    peace,
    mike
    livelife365

    ReplyDelete
  20. I had some beans today, and I have to admit, I felt pretty good after eating them!
    Don't know if it's because they were really tasty (over rice) or just because they're beans! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  21. thankfully, i like them all, and wow, now, i wont feel bad if i treat myself with a little dessert sometime. but when i feel a little bit stressed, i know it wont do me good if i do not cave in to my desire to have a bite, even just a little of dessert, otherwise, i feel sad, sad, and sad. yehey for the dessert and chocolate, hahahah!

    ReplyDelete
  22. i am allergic to oranges. big time! but i heard to keep the anxiety levels low, watermelon does it also. :)


    great article!

    ReplyDelete
  23. In the nuts category you forgot almonds, Heidi. More biologically active calcium than cow's milk. To me, this is the King of Nuts. But, you are right, walnuts are ace-high, too.

    Sadly, I am also crazy about beans--any and all--and tend to overeat. Oh, well, I guess you've got to have a few vices.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I just love the bit about chocolate ;-) And I eat my bananas, so that's good. I'll have to add some of the other foods to my list too. Love your new photo :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. wow! great post Heidi. I love oranges. And oh the chocolates! Thanks for sharing.
    teecee!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I've been doing more walking at some nearby nature trails. It definitely does wonders. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  27. All these foods are quite nutritious and healthy. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. Always good information! I enjoy reading about your journey! Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Finally, a post about health that makes me feel better. I like all those things except never had lentils. I'm really strong on the bananas, chocolate, spinach (when I go out to eat), and walnuts if they're in brownies! I believe moderation in all things is the key to good health, and of course, move around--be active. What about ice cream! I'm good at that too!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Great advice as usual! I am on day 8 of reduced carbs (I just can't go cold turkey, plus you need a little). I have been eating lots of nuts and oranges. It's actually not so bad :).

    ReplyDelete
  31. Nice tips. Thanks for following ME too!

    ReplyDelete
  32. That's a lovely photograph ... you look so happy and healthy. It's a good idea to have a new one to begin the new year! :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hello Heidi,
    I like this post so much, I'm linking it to my Tasha's Take blog.

    All very good info and great reminders to us who don't follow good nutrition as much as you. Be a quick referrence for me, for sure.

    Tasha

    ReplyDelete
  34. Heidi, these are all my favorite foods.. Except chocolates though hehehehe

    Have a great and fabulous weekend !

    ReplyDelete

Fat, Fat I Ain't Down With That! Easy Tips To Revive Your Metabolism!

 I get a little lazy in winter since generally the swimsuit is many months away however this year I am determined to not let the holidays an...