Me Oh My, Does Your Cold Sore Make You Want To Cry? Natural Solutions & Foods That Can Help Ease Your Pain!

My cold sore is killing me today (I always get one in the winter) so I thought that I would write about natural ways and foods that can help with this. Maybe you are one of those lucky people that doesn’t get cold sores but if you are like me and you have one each year, here are a few things you can do to help avoid them and shorten their vacation on your mouth.

Foods To Avoid With Cold Sores-Foods high in arginine


Milk
Nuts like almonds, walnuts, pecans, peanuts
Dark Chocolate
Flax, sesame and most other seeds
Shell type seafood
Oranges, grapes and other fruits and berries-
Caffeine

Basically cutting back on foods that are high in arginine can shorten the healing time of the fever blisters. Adding B12 and folic acid into your diet can also help shorten the healing time.

Foods That May Help With Cold Sores-Foods rich in lysine

Chicken
Eggs
Beef
Apples
Papaya
Beets
Cheeses and Yogurts

A couple easy home remedies that I found at www.oohoi.com are:

-With clean hands, moisten your fingers and press them into common salt. Apply to the fever blister for 30 seconds or so. Just as gargling warm salt water can help a sore throat and canker sores, placing salt on fever blisters may reduce healing time.

-Apply ice to the sore. When applied for ten minutes approximately every hour, this solution may prevent the cold sore from developing any further. Other substances that you can apply which may help are witch hazel and spirit of camphor.

I think that I am going to give this a try as my cold sore is making me miserable!! I will let you know how it turns out.

23 comments:

  1. Ouch! I'm sorry you have to deal with that, but glad you have some natural remedies. Natural is always better, right?

    Davida

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have my sympathy Heidi...my daughter and mother have been getting those pesky things for years and they can be down right nasty!!! The cold sores not the ladies. I've never had them, thank goodness!

    I'll pass along the food to avoid and those that may help...
    I do know my daughter buys a special salve(expensive)that she uses at the first sign of a cold sore coming which stops it in its tracks!! It isn't a natural product though!

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  3. So unfair! You can't eat all the things that you love while you recover from the cold sores. I'll pass these tips on to one of my friends who seem to get them quite often from stress.

    Thanks for sharing. In fact, I'll make a special link to this post as part of my medical links.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Health. . . . I get them. . . just had one and it was bad. . . not so much in the last few years but in high school. . . . I used to get them a lot.
    A friend who is a doctor told me about Zilactin. . . .oh it burns like crazy, but it dries it up faster than anything. . .
    Hope it gets better soon.
    Ciao

    ReplyDelete
  5. These alternative remedies are always so interesting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. i don't usually take otc medicines, i look for remedies first. these are great tips.

    *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi! I have something for you. Congratulations! Please check my blog for details.

    ReplyDelete
  8. my hubby gets them from citrus fruits.
    Have you tried applying an all-natural salve containing zinc? That usually helps.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, what a pity you're having cold sores :( I hope the natural remedies work for you!

    Interesting list of foods there!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I got my hubby to pick me up some BLISTEX because I got one too. I get them every winter as well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Health Nut:

    I get a cold sore about once a year. So the next time I feel that little stinging in my mouth I'll definitely try your remedies.

    Happy trails.

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are useful tips! Everyone around me has been sick!

    Happy New Year btw

    ReplyDelete
  13. I used to get cold sores a lot. Good job like chicken though I am thinking of turning veggie soon, in the spring perhaps.

    ReplyDelete
  14. mmmm...i can't be a good follower of a good prescription because i am stubborn what it is avoided i'll like it. Natural is always perfect but stubborn is a failure..hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you for sharing this Heidi, it couldn't have come at a more appropriate time! I'm just like you I get cold sores every winter too and right now one has just started on my lower lip. I hate it! Thank you for sharing these tips. I'm going to try some of those home remedies that you posted.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks for this good info! Have several friends who suffer from cold sores frequently, so will pass on to them! Congrats also on all the news sites that have picked up your Blog posts - very cool! Great job! Have added you to my Blog Roll/Favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sorry about the cold sores! And even more sorry you have to miss out on your favourite chocolates! On the other hand, all those food that help don't sound too bad! Wish your cold sores go away fast : )

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Heidi,
    I you feel better soon. I am glad I don't get this cold sore.

    Thanks for sharing this great tip :)

    Get well soon!

    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hello Heidi,
    I love natural remedies. I always seek those first.

    ReplyDelete
  20. these are very good tips to be followed; i will try it when my son gets cold sore; thanks for sharing it with us, Heidi :-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Interesting, thanks for sharing... I've never heard of the natural remedies before, but the next time I'm hit with a sore- I'll be sure to give it a try. :)

    -Mig

    ReplyDelete

Fat, Fat I Ain't Down With That! Easy Tips To Revive Your Metabolism!

 I get a little lazy in winter since generally the swimsuit is many months away however this year I am determined to not let the holidays an...