Need Energy? Give These Healthy Foods A Try!

Everyday that I write this blog I become more and more aware of how important the right diet is for our overall health, immune system, body weight, energy level, moods and so much more. If you are anything at all like me then you need all the energy you can get to keep up with all the things each day puts in front of you. The below foods will get and keep you going full of energy as well as giving your immune system a nice boost.

Healthy Foods To Give You A Natural Boost

**Berries-Ooooohhhh, I love berries and now I have even more reasons! Strawberries, raspberries, blueberries and blackberries are high in vitamin and fiber content, they're an excellent source of antioxidants, compounds that protect our bodies from the stress of day to day living, and fresh berries are kind to the waistline; they are naturally high in water and low in calories. Dried berries also provide excellent nutrition, but since most of the water is missing, their calories are more concentrated and you’ll usually wind up eating more of them.

**Citrus-Citrus fruits are loaded with vitamin C; one orange has a whole day’s requirement.They’re also loaded with soluble fiber which lowers cholesterol, maintains healthy blood sugar levels, and helps you to manage your weight.

**Salmon-Cold-water fish, like salmon, mackerel and herring, are premiere sources of omega-3 essential fatty acids. These are fats our bodies can’t produce, so it’s a good idea to include them in our diet (unless you are a vegetarian like me then you can try walnuts or flax seeds) . If you read my post about healthy hair, you will notice salmon was included in that post as well.

**Vegetables-There’s no such thing as a bad vegetable so eat up. Vegetables are packed with vitamins, minerals and fiber, and are a crucial component of any healthy eating plan. Orange and yellow-hued veggies like winter squash, carrots and sweet potatoes and leafy greens contain carotenoids, a pigment our body converts to vitamin A. Eating lots of these vegetables will help maintain healthy skin and hair, protect against prostate cancer, promote healthy vision and even provide protection from sunburn.
Lycopene, the plant chemical responsible for the ruby red of tomatoes and watermelon, is believed to fight cancer and promote heart health.
Green vegetables like broccoli and spinach are sky-high in potent anti-cancer compounds like sulforaphane and quercitin.

**Nuts and Seeds-Almonds, pecans and pistachios are rich in protein. Walnuts contain omega-3 fatty acids. Toss sesame seeds in a meal for extra calcium and vitamin E.
Sesame, sunflower and pumpkin seeds are particularly good sources of phytosterols, also known as plant sterols, which promote heart health. These are easy to take with you for on the go energy. I take nuts everywhere and eat them all day. As I have mentioned probably a hundred times-nuts are my number one diet secret!

**Olive oil-Olive oil is an excellent source of heart-healthy monounsaturated fats that may lower the bad cholesterol and raise the good cholesterol. It contains Vitamin E and antioxidants
and is an excellent replacement for unhealthy saturated fats like butter. I take a spoon full of olive oil before eating spaghetti so the bad fats in the pasta can't make me fat. Extra virgin olive oil is also great for healthy skin.

**Tea- Recent studies have shown drinking green tea might boost metabolism, oolong teas can lower blood sugar, and black teas can promote oral health. Tea contains half the caffeine of coffee and packs a punch of polyphenols, powerful antioxidants believed to protect against heart disease, certain cancers and stroke.

**Legumes-Beans, peas, peanuts and lentils are all part of the legume family. Legumes are rich in folic acid, calcium, iron, potassium, zinc and antioxidants. Their high protein and complex carbohydrates provide steady energy that lasts for hours. Also great for vegetarians (like me) who need protein.

**Whole grains-They’re delicious, inexpensive and packed with protein, B vitamins, minerals and fiber. Some immediate benefits you might notice are stable blood sugar, less hunger between meals, and better weight management.

**Lean Protein-Protein is an important part of every diet and is found in many different foods. Lean protein, the best kind, can be found in fish, skinless chicken and turkey, pork tenderloin and certain cuts of beef, like the top round. Low-fat dairy products like milk, yogurt, ricotta and other cheeses supply both protein and calcium. I also love extra firm tofu for a great protein!

ref-The Food Network

I am on the go so much and hate to admit it but I do have a hard time fitting in all these foods all the time. I take a whole food supplement called The Pops by Whole Food Nation and they have one supplement for energy, and one for calming. I take about 2-4 capsules of the energy in the morning (it also naturally speeds up my metabolism-woohoo weight loss) depending how much energy I need, grab my nuts and some tea (caffeine) and I can go all day and night feeling great. I used to be exhausted all day and couldn't wait until the end of the day but now I enjoy my days and am no longer sluggish! So, go get some power foods and start feeling your best!

26 comments:

  1. Heidi,
    What a great list of healthy foods. Thank you very much. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Contrary to popular belief, skipping the major meals in no way contribute to losing weight. There are many factors that work against losing weight when a person skips meals in order to shed that extra bit of weight. Weight loss pills like phentermine are nowadays very much preferred in order to lose weight. This method of weight loss is usually taken up by those people who are either short of will power, time, and energy. Diet pill phentermine have however been banned. To know about this topic and its replacements browse the following link. http://www.phentermine-effects.com.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i always wondering about your post, that's many great information. where is the idea come?
    every morning and afternoon i drink java black tea with no sugar. success for you heidi

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the berry combo, I'll have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Believe it or not, I've met adults who have said they seldom eat vegetables???????? I want to ask them, "Well then, how do you survive?!" Anyway, gimme beans, I love them and try to have some sort of bean every day! Yes...EVERY day. There are so many to choose from.

    My berry smoothies are the BEST - they have plenty of their own sugar.

    Healthy eating doesn't have to be boring. :-)

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. very informative@ and your kids are so adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, all the food you mentioned are good for health. Luckily for me, I like all these food! Good, quality supplements definitely helps too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice post heidi time for me to go to the market and get energized.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I seem to be hearing, or maybe just more aware now of useful tips lately,

    Vinegar for getting rid of spiders...does it work...I don't know?

    I'm afraid to eat broccoli now that I know they are impossible to grow without tons of pesticides.

    regular olive oil only for cooking or greasing pans. Regular olive oil doesn't burn,,,the virgin, x virgin etc are not for cooking...they burn!!!

    I'm also cleaning wood with olive oil alone now....nice but your really need to polish well. It's healthy in the house...lot better than those nasty spray cans.

    ReplyDelete
  10. great list! One of my favorites is fresh ground flaxseed(I use my coffee mill)added to just about everything.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We just picked up our blueberry order- five gallons of snackin' goodness! Great list.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Heidi,

    Great list! Thank you so much for sharing. I wasn't aware that orange vegetables help prevent sunburn. In sunny California I could sure use some more of that! One more reason to look forward to those fresh carrots I am growing in my garden. One or two more weeks and they should be ready. Again you wrote an incredible informative article. I enjoy reading your blog every day!

    Cascia @ Healthy Moms

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey Heidi!

    I'm so very proud that most of these things are already in my daily diet. I'm with you on the berries, I love them all!

    One item that I can particularly speak on is green tea lowering blood sugar. My blood sugar was getting just a bit high, so I increased my cup of green tea to after each meal and my blood sugar was almost too low!

    Excellent information ~~ Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  14. i love everything on the list, but most of them are very expensive here.

    i hope you're having a great weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Excellent list. I've been eating this way for six months now and I've gone from 215 pounds to 175 ibs. As a bodybuilder, this type of diet works for me! I love to eat!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I absolutely love blackberries and raspberries! I do think they lose some of their benefit, however, when they're jammed in a cobbler or pie.

    Ah, but at least they're in there, right?

    The Natural State Hawg

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love these foods too, and it's amazing how good they taste once you get the refined sugars out of your system and are eating real whole foods. Thanks for the great info you provide here Heidi.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh! I love berries, especially when they're fresh. I just found some delicious recipes in a magazine, including one for raspberry lemon bars. Well, I'm sure the raspberries are healthy, I'm not so sure about the lemon bars! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great list of foods Heidi...I have an issue with fatigue as well and I use Ginseng when I know I'm going to need an extra boost...breakfast and lunch only though...

    It gives me the energy and concentration when I require it...

    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  20. I think that managing everything on that list every day may be difficult. However, managing as much of it as possible every day is a step in the right direction. Better a little than nothing at all!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for the reminder on how these foods benefit us. Funny how all of those foods are so wonderful...makes you wonder why we ever invented processed food. We have a great little olive oil mill, Queen Creek Olive Mill, close by and we had brunch there this morning...so yummy and good for you too. You should check it out...they have great products.

    http://www.queencreekolivemill.com/

    ReplyDelete
  22. great lists. hope i can do that, i seldom eat vegetables though.. :(

    ReplyDelete
  23. for some reason Im slow to get to the ALMONDS :)
    Just starting snacking on em this year and LOVE how portable they are (no clue why Id been stuck on cashew and soy until now :))

    good reminder today.
    thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  24. A bowl of fresh blueberries (sometimes with a small dollop of whipped cream) is one of my favorite all-time treats!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow, it is very nice to hear about healthy foods. I wannna too add them in my daily food. Great...

    ReplyDelete
  26. I've been adding beans to my diet. I need to get a pressure cooker, though. Also, I started eating organic oatmeal with soy milk for breakfast, with frozen strawberries or blueberries on top, along with a couple packets of stevia. Great breakfast!

    ReplyDelete

Fat, Fat I Ain't Down With That! Easy Tips To Revive Your Metabolism!

 I get a little lazy in winter since generally the swimsuit is many months away however this year I am determined to not let the holidays an...