Tea, Tea Your The One For Me! Health Benefits of Tea!

Have a cup of tea-you may live longer and be protecting yourself from an array of ailments. The antioxidants in tea appear to improve concentration, gently boost energy, make people happier, lower cholesterol levels, improve cardiovascular health and help guard against some cancers. And some experts believe its flavenoids may inhibit the growth of plaque on teeth (less visits to the dentist). The free radical-inhibiting property of tea is more potent than that of vitamin E, and tea is a proven preventive and treatment for atherosclerosis (hardening of the arteries). The polyphenols in tea, especially the catechins, are powerful antioxidants that help ward off diabetes and cancer. I find that drinking tea can be both soothing (nothing like a nice cup of hot tea in the evening) and invigorating (delicious ice tea with all natural Stevia sweetener).

Tea Tidbits

**Slim Down With Tea-As a weight loss tool, tea is a wonderfully cleansing way to flush the system, replace fluids - and pump the body full of powerful antioxidants at the same time. Aside from the health benefits, tea is a zero-calorie beverage, making it your best choice for weight loss. Tea, especially green tea, have been known to speed up fat oxidation and increase the metabolic rate. Along with caffeine, the catechin polyphenols present in tea helps speed up the rate at which calories are burnt, thereby increasing substantially the energy consumed.

**Heart Health- People who consume three or more cups of tea a day have an 11 percent lower rate of heart attacks than those who drink less, according to a study presented to the American College of Cardiology. Other studies suggest that tea may also reduce levels of LDL cholesterol and repair blood-vessel damage in heart patients.

**Green Tea- is famous for its calming effect on both body and mind. Studies have shown that this calming effect is caused by the L- Theanine amino acid found in the leaves of green tea. L-Theanine affects the central nerve system, causing certain substances to be released which cause a sense of euphoria, optimism and serenity while neutralizing the vigor which accompanies the consumption of caffeine in tea.

**Caffeinated Teas -may help to prevent cancer, Alzheimer’s disease, Parkinson’s disease and osteoporosis, as well as boosting the immune system.

**Brewed Teas are Best-To achieve the greatest health benefits, drink tea brewed from loose leaves or teabags. The longer the tea is steeped, the more antioxidants it will provide (though the caffeine content will also rise with steeping time). Tea should be allowed to steep for at least 3-5 minutes so that the majority of its antioxidants will be released.
Iced teas made from brewed tea leaves are as high in antioxidants as hot teas. Iced teas should be kept in sealed containers and refrigerated. Powdered teas are not as high in antioxidants and thus will not offer the same health benefits. Most bottled teas consist predominantly of sugar and water and are not a good source of antioxidants. More here.

**Herbal Teas-Herbal teas do not offer the same benefits as black, red, green and white caffeinated teas, but they can provide a number of other health benefits.

**Tea provides about 22% of the total intake of flavonoids in the U.S. diet, almost as much as fruits (28%) and vegetables (26%). More here.

**Green tea catechins have been shown to protect the liver against toxins such as alcohol and cigarette smoke.

Tea is delicious and calorie-free to boot! I think I will go and have a glass now. Why don't you!
Heidi

15 comments:

  1. Ha! I love the Title.. Tea is the one for me! I had one today @ lunch actually.. Enjoyed an herbal green tea as I was told from the girl behind the counter that this, "Was the best one for me!".. Heidi, if you say Tea is good for me, then I'm gonna have another one tomorrow.. Thanks for the tips..

    John Fit (Looking for a Tea Bag)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great article. I knew tea was good for you, but this article really lays it out in a way that makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not making this up, but I am reading (and now commenting) on this post while sipping decaf green tea with honey. Seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Michael-You are too funny but good for you!
    Baldeagle-Thanks for your kind comment.
    John Fit-Please, you are the master of fitness but hey I appreciate your vote of confidence!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I should be good to go - I drink a ton of loose-leaf tea!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tea is not what it used to be. In the sense that "all herbal" hot drinks are called Tea. which in my opinion confuses me (may be I'm the only one?)about what is Tea. Is it from Tea Leaves or any other leaves and fruits (except coffee)?

    Personally I do prefere Darjeeling and Green Tea from Tea Bushes. Also som other kinds, not fro Tea bushes.

    Anyhow - great post

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love Tea!!

    Have it every Night - it's a Nice Soothing Calming Relaxing Beverage!

    of course i gotta Start the Day with 2 Huge Jolt Mugs o Coffee!!

    ;))

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've always loved tea. The best brew in the world for me :)

    Ps: I've mentioned you in my weekly blog reads :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love tea! Anyway in Egypt everyone is drinking tea anytime :) Great article.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You're not only a Tea expert, you're also a poet :D

    You definitely convinced me now to go heat up some water and sip on some tea! :)

    Don't stop making these informative posts!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love tea...I'm hooked on a Ginger-Peach tea..I think it's nice after a meal!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What better way is to enjoy my cup of tea, watching the world goes by. Or rather, hooked to the additive net!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I drink loads of tea so it's great to know it's good for my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really had to teach myself to like tea and taste the different varieties (endless really) I do drink decaf green tea mostly I think it is the best green tea for you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very nice blog! I have to admit that this is the best looking blogger skin I've seen for clarity and format. I love drinking green tea and have written about some of the health benefits of green tea on my dietary supplement blog:

    http://jmorrow50.wordpress.com/2008/05/14/green-tea-and-glucose-tolerancediabetes/

    http://jmorrow50.wordpress.com/2007/12/17/does-green-tea-promote-weight-loss/

    ReplyDelete

Fat, Fat I Ain't Down With That! Easy Tips To Revive Your Metabolism!

 I get a little lazy in winter since generally the swimsuit is many months away however this year I am determined to not let the holidays an...