Feeling Blue? Try These Healthy Foods To Give You A Boost

Food, food, glorious food! I love to eat and am having so much fun learning just how important our diets are to every aspect of our lives-including helping to boost our spirits. It is wonderful to have information on health and diet so we can feel more in control of our lives and be our best inside and out. After reading this you will have no more excuses to be cranky, got it?!

We've all had those days when we feel down and don't know why or we just need a pick me up (actually we have had those days when we are outright terrors if the truth be told). These healthy food choices will actually help to rev your engine and chase those blues away. Hello sunshine!

**Try Some Dessert- Yes! You read that right, try some dessert! Sugar soothes us when we're feeling stressed out ( I know that to be true and will take full advantage). But before you binge on a pan of brownies, cookies and candy, know that a little sugar may soothe you, but too much will wreak havoc with your blood sugar. So, as always moderation is the key here.

**Beans -Like most legumes, beans are rich in iron. If you're low on iron like many active people are--you can be tired and have trouble sleeping, which as we all know can make you cranky, cranky, cranky. Beans are great thrown in salads, over white rice, in a tortilla with salsa, in chili and soups.

**Bananas-Stress and the lack of magnesium are so closely related that it is a good idea for those who lead an active life to add foods rich in magnesium, such as bananas to their diet. Increasing the intake of magnesium reduces anxiety and makes for better sleeping.

**Oranges-Two glasses of fresh orange juice are enough to help say goodbye to some nervousness, bad moods and depression; lack of vitamin C, can make you irritable and cranky.

**Chocolate-Hurrah! Hurrah! Now I know it cannot get any better than this! Some experts believe that like many other foods sweet and rich in carbohydrates, chocolate can have a soothing effect; others, however, consider that the caffeine and other substances contained in chocolate could act as stimulants. I don't care why, I am just so glad to hear it! Ahem, moderation here though, again.

**Spinach and Lentils-Both Lentils and spinach are full of folate, a B vitamin that you need to make the serotonin that makes you feel good. Folate is strong enough to ease clinical depression, say researchers and low levels of folate have been linked to depression. A cup of cooked lentils provides 90% of the recommended daily allowance of folic acid-so try some lentil soup and be happy and healthy. Also, you could add frozen spinach and make a low-fat spinach dip, have a nice spinach salad or use on sandwiches instead of lettuce. More food tips here, and here.
-
**Walnuts- Are a great source of omega 3 fatty acids-a type of fat that's needed for brain cells and mood-lifting . Also been shown to relieve mild depression. I love to eat walnuts as a snack but they are also delicious on salads.

**Salmon-Salmon is also rich in omega fatty acids and canned Salmon with bones contains vitamin D which has been linked to possibly increasing our levels of serotonin- one of the key neurotransmitters influencing our mood.

I found this recipe Warm Lentil Salad with Walnuts and Goats' Cheese on delia.com. You could use spinach salad, add walnuts and lentils and hopefully you and your guests will be feeling great.

I am going to start having more walnuts, oranges and bananas for snacks and incorporate spinach and lentils into my diet. Don't worry, I already have the desserts and chocolate covered. To feeling better!

Best,

Heidi




14 comments:

  1. Heidi,
    I absolutely love your blog! I hope you don't mind if I come back and check out your great information from time to time. Thanks for all the great info!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, thank you so much! I have just been on a lentil kick (folic acids for my soon to be babe!) and my mouth is watering at some of these ideas...

    Warm Lentil Salad with Walnuts and Goats' Cheese will have to wait for the kid to get out, but this is a lovely post all the same, I'll pass it along and be back myself :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Heidi,

    Living in a country of the mediterranean, I was brought up eating lots of soup, fish and vegetables.
    Unfortunately nowadays mediterranean countries are loosing ground to "industrialized" diets.
    I recently read someone's writing about not eating potatoes and rice. Because of too many carbs.
    Well, in my opinion, slow carbs like those found on cereals are essential. Especially for children.
    I must say though that foods like cereals and yughurts have been ruined in many cases by adding too much sugar, preservatives and other things.

    Kind regards,

    José

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey, we knew our choc and banana sandwiches were a good thing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi,
    Thank you for posting this. I found it to be interesting & I liked the information. I need to improve my eating habits. You have a nice blog! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This will give a lot of people an excuse to eat more chocolate!!!

    I love bananas!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great advice! I'm really enjoying your articles! Anything that has to do with chocolate and desserts being a good thing is alright with me! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great article! Anything to do with chocolate and dessert being healthy is alright with me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. As usual, thanks again! Great info and keeps me coming back.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oooh, Chocolate ice cream with walnuts and bananas on top. I'm going to be a very good mood. ;-)
    Thanks for all the great information you share.
    Lin

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really enjoyed reading this article. I appreciate the time and effort you put into it. Now I feel hungry so I'm going to find something healthy to eat.
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'd recommend tea, also :)! There was a study recently released stating that consumption
    of tea reduces the risk of ovarian cancer (
    href="http://www.supplementinfo.org/index.php?src=news&refno=54&category=Supplements%20In%20The%20News">source!
    )
    Apparently, two cups of tea a day reduces the risk by
    half! Amazing. What do you think of the study?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Healthy food over the long term defitinitely helps your mood over the long term!

    I find that even though a walk might be the last thing I can be bothered with when I'm feeling down, it is absolutely the best thing!
    While you're out walking you get to see things from a different perspective, get some blood flowing, feel good about doing some positive and then come back feeling sooo much better.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I LOVE the pic with this post. Priceless!

    Wags - Chris & Mackenzie

    ReplyDelete

Fat, Fat I Ain't Down With That! Easy Tips To Revive Your Metabolism!

 I get a little lazy in winter since generally the swimsuit is many months away however this year I am determined to not let the holidays an...