Bust The Blues With These Nutritious Foods!! No More Excuses To Be Cranky!


Have you got a touch of the winter blues???? It is getting colder and colder here and the less light and darker evenings seem to be affecting some of us lately so why not giving some of these healthy foods that will help bust the blues! I know I have been kind of a pain lately if not a little winter bluesy myself so I am making a trip to the grocery store and stocking up on these great choices.
Blues Busting Foods! MMMMMMMMMM.....

**Try Some Dessert- Yes! You read that right, try some dessert! Sugar soothes us when we're feeling stressed out ( I know that to be true and will take full advantage). But before you binge on a pan of brownies, cookies and candy, know that a little sugar may soothe you, but too much will wreak havoc with your blood sugar. So, as always moderation is the key here.

**Beans -Like most legumes, beans are rich in iron. If you're low on iron like many active people are--you can be tired and have trouble sleeping, which as we all know can make you cranky, cranky, cranky. Beans are great thrown in salads, over white rice, in a tortilla with salsa, in chili and soups.

**Bananas-Stress and the lack of magnesium are so closely related that it is a good idea for those who lead an active life to add foods rich in magnesium, such as bananas to their diet. Increasing the intake of magnesium reduces anxiety and makes for better sleeping.

**Oranges-Two glasses of fresh orange juice are enough to help say goodbye to some nervousness, bad moods and depression; lack of vitamin C, can make you irritable and cranky.

**Chocolate-Hurrah! Hurrah! Now I know it cannot get any better than this! Some experts believe that like many other foods sweet and rich in carbohydrates, chocolate can have a soothing effect; others, however, consider that the caffeine and other substances contained in chocolate could act as stimulants. I don't care why, I am just so glad to hear it! Ahem, moderation here though, again.

**Spinach and Lentils-Both Lentils and spinach are full of folate, a B vitamin that you need to make the serotonin that makes you feel good. Folate is strong enough to ease clinical depression, say researchers and low levels of folate have been linked to depression. A cup of cooked lentils provides 90% of the recommended daily allowance of folic acid-so try some lentil soup and be happy and healthy. Also, you could add frozen spinach and make a low-fat spinach dip, have a nice spinach salad or use on sandwiches instead of lettuce.
**Walnuts- Are a great source of omega 3 fatty acids-a type of fat that's needed for brain cells and mood-lifting . Also been shown to relieve mild depression. I love to eat walnuts as a snack but they are also delicious on salads. **Salmon-Salmon is also rich in omega fatty acids and canned Salmon with bones contains vitamin D which has been linked to possibly increasing our levels of serotonin- one of the key neurotransmitters influencing our mood.

I am going to start having more walnuts, oranges and bananas for snacks and incorporate spinach and lentils into my diet. Don't worry, I already have the desserts and chocolate covered. To feeling better!

20 comments:

  1. chocolate really helps keep my blues away, because today's work, traffic, i got really stress and I got a very low energy, then I grab a chocolate fudge sundae at MacDonald's after a minute i feel much better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Heidi, has the thought ever crossed your mind to enter a leg compitition, (just for the fun) if the answer is yes, now is your chance. Please visit my site...
    Have a fabulous weekend.
    Colin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chocolate, especially dark chocolate, is an awesome, miraculous substance. Try chocolate covered cocoa beans for a quick, health, nutrition packed pick-me-up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Chocolate AND dessert? Love this list! Thanks for the info Heidi!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmmm...some of my favorite things...don't have to tell me twice to eat chocolate!
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  6. An orange is always a quick and very refreshing way to get some energy for me. I try to always carry one out the door with me. Feels great to have one first thing in the morning, or right after teaching an exercise class! Cut up wedges of grapefruit are excellent, too. Good stuff! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. You had me at chocolate, though I do love most of the healthier foods too, like spinach. Mmm.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You always have the best and most informative post her my dear Hedi. I agree with Collin of sexy legs and body that you should the leg contest because you have smoking hot legs and body WoW. Have a great week my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the tips though living in a tropical country, I don't suffer from winter blues. Haha! Well, it's good to know. Thanks for sharing! : )

    ReplyDelete
  10. Heidi:

    Those look like two wonderful little daughters in your sidebar. You are very a lucky person to have such a beautiful family. Well done.

    Great advice for the winters downers. More nutritious foods. I hate the gray skies, the dark clouds and the cold rain. And the only thing I hate more than cold rain is cold rain with a cold wind blowing. Brrrrrr. I hear that bananas are also good for the heart.

    Have a very nice day, and remember...

    Happy trails.

    ReplyDelete
  11. They are all excellent food choices. Orange juice is my favorite though!

    Hope all has been going well. I've been away of late but it's great to return and learn more of your tips about health and diet. Have a great week :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the tips...you are getting me healthy Heidi :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. No way am I eating any lentils. You can't make me.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey Heida, what's happening? Another helpful post...glad I stopped by.

    peace,
    mike
    livelife365

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this post!!

    I will have an excuse to eat more chocolates and dessert. :P

    Happy weekend, Heidi!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very interesting article, and fun to read. The information provided by you is very good,is very excellent. I got good knowledge from your summery.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love oranges and we have a lot of oranges here in our place. Thanks for sharing the nutrition facts. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's not like you to go this long without posting, hope all is well. Happy Holidays!

    ReplyDelete

Fat, Fat I Ain't Down With That! Easy Tips To Revive Your Metabolism!

 I get a little lazy in winter since generally the swimsuit is many months away however this year I am determined to not let the holidays an...