Burn Fat With These Healthy Foods-Eat and Lose Weight!


I love to eat but do not like to gain weight so any foods that are going to help me lose or maintain weight are an absolute plus. The list below is a great resource as I religiously drink green tea, eat string cheese and nuts and really find that I am able to maintain my weight and feel full. Hope these help you out!

Super Foods To Rev Up Your Metabolism

**Tofu-is a good source of leucine-a friendly protein that helps you stay thin. Dietary leucine in tofu is an amino acid linked to maintaining muscle mass and reducing body fat during weight loss. I think that the extra firm tofu is the best so if you are new to tofu I would give this a shot first..

**Green Tea-has caffeine and catechins (plant nutrients) that might help raise your metabolic rate by up to 3.5 percent. So studies indicate that green tea may give you an increased metabolism, a positive effect on blood sugar and insulin regulation, and possibly the inhibiting of certain enzymes which are required for the processing of carbohydrates and fats. It is recommended to sip 32 ounces a day. I love green tea with a little Stevia-cold or hot!

**Lean Meats-are rich in protein, which takes more energy to digest than carbs or fats. Protein makes you feel satisfied too. (I'm a vegetarian but I refuse to be biased).

**Whole-Grain Cereal-complex carbs in the morning are a great way to fuel your body for the day ahead. I find that these also keep you fuller longer so you aren't apt to snack on unhealthy alternatives.

**Coffee-Caffeine speeds up your metabolism making it easier for us to burn more calories --- even while at rest, and coffee gives you more energy for a tougher workout that lasts longer, making it possible to burn more calories (if you exercise that is-I am still working on getting the exercise in).

**Low-Fat Dairy-it is packed with protein and helps build muscle and banish fat. Please keep in mind that due to all the bovine growth hormone in our dairy products I am not a big proponent of dairy unless it is organic and then I say proceed with some caution. Did you know that U.S. milk is banned in Europe because of the bgh hormone? Another scary food thought.

**Nuts-packed with protein and fiber, a handful (or entire jar a day in my case) at snack time keeps your body full. Anyone who reads my blog on a regular basis knows that my number one diet secret is NUTS. I love them and it is the only way I can stay thin. Long live nuts!
ref for this article from my mysteriously appearing Good Housekeeping April 2008.

28 comments:

  1. wow, thanks for the post, now i am inspired :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I had two cups of coffee today, and my tea intake is going way up, so I trust this will burn my tummy away, but I think I'm going to have to get some exercise in tomorrow if I really want to do some good :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are all my favorite foods! I have never had a weight problem and a big part of the reason is growing up with a mother who fed us lean foods, no sodas and lean on desserts.

    Although I am "slim" my cholesterol came in HIGH so I need to get more exercise and keep a food journal for a week to be sure that I am still eating as well as I think I am!

    Viveca

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can always learn much from you, Heidi.

    It's Chinese new year's eve today!

    I hope you a very happy new year! 牛年快乐!

    身体健康万事如意!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am really interested in trying green tea, but caffeine (even in small quantities) tends to make me nervous. Hopefully I can find a reduced caffeine version!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gotta agree with you on the nuts. They are full of healthy fats, protein, fibre and vitamins. A really great nutritional choice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great tips again Heidi! I have really been increasing my intake of green tea every since I've been reading your blog. Keep all of the great info coming :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just had my first ever bowl of multi-grain Cheerios and was pleasantly surprised. Not only did they taste good, they made me feel fuller than most other cereals.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great advice! I've become an almond addict and keep a baggie of them in my purse at all times for those snack attack moments!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your post is full of useful information as always. In Britain it was recently announced that three cups of coffee helps improve memories of those impaired by Alzheimer's and four cups of brown tea helps peoples short term memories.

    Oh and talking about fat burning - there have been rumours that aloe vera tablets (x2) per day are supposed to help burn off tummy fat. I have not seen any medical proof to back it up as yet. The only thing that I know is that aloe vera helps the passage of food in the gut so perhaps this does indeed help to make the tummy flat.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've never tried tofu and can't stand the smell or taste of coffee but I have been incorporating all the other items into my diet and am finding them to be just what you say they are! My metabolism is slower than a snail so I have to make wise decisions with everything so I always appreciate your tips and advice!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I don't like tofu either, but I love nuts. I take a 1/4 cup of nuts in a ziplock to work with me. I can munch on them and keep the hunger pangs away for hours. I often find that I have some left at the end of the day.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I will consider trying Tofu, I avoid caffeine like the plague, a diet high in protein and low in starchy carbs works best for me keeps the cravings away, I'm lactose intolerant so I don't do much in the way of dairy, and I love nuts but unfortunately I'd probably end up eating the whole can myself in one day, I have to learn the meaning of moderation!! :0)
    As always and informative interesting post Heidi!
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello Heidi!
    A friend of mine once made me some "scrambled eggs" from tofu. It was quite tasty. I need to find that recipe. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I agree--nuts are awesome! they're also great for keeping yoru blood sugar levels on an even keel, unlike simple carbs.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love tofu and drink a cup of coffee, but I think I'm going to start drinking some green tea. Anything that boosts my metabolism naturally is what I need, so thank you for sharing this info.

    Tasha

    ReplyDelete
  17. Heidi, Here in Britain the latest that has come out on our news items today is a professor in the USA has allegedly identified a 'fat virus' - this apparently is highly contagious and caught as simply as the average cough and cold with similar symptoms. You can apparently catch it from just shaking hands ... I think before we all start to panic that we just may start increasing a waist measurements like beached whales we must have proof positive. I think if the majority of people just halve what they eat at each sitting - the chances are they will be much thinner at the end of a twelve month period.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for the reminders! Green tea is now my "miracle" drink. BTW, I like your new page header and layout.

    Davida

    ReplyDelete
  20. Testing... not sure my comment went through.

    Davida

    ReplyDelete
  21. I incorporate all of those foods into my diet, EXCEPT the green tea. I just don't like the taste for some reason...but tofu, I like, ha ha..that seems backwards!

    ReplyDelete
  22. You are right, drink green-tea regularly is good for health.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wow - your blog is a comment-fest girlfriend. Anyway, great post. I'll make sure I include more of these foods in my diet.

    ReplyDelete
  24. It's great that nuts are so good for us, and they make a taste snack too when you feel hungry between meals.

    ReplyDelete
  25. If eating nuts, drinking green tea and having tofu for meals can make me look like you, I'll eat them for the rest of my life. :)

    You look awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  26. never a dull moment here, heidi. i can always count on learning something new and useful. being a veggie too, i was delighted to see tofu on the list (though i agree with you-the firm is the best).

    ReplyDelete
  27. Your blog has lots of great advice for healthy eating.Thanks for visiting my blog

    ReplyDelete

Fat, Fat I Ain't Down With That! Easy Tips To Revive Your Metabolism!

 I get a little lazy in winter since generally the swimsuit is many months away however this year I am determined to not let the holidays an...