Heidi

My Photo
Mom, desperately trying to get the health thing right! I started this blog so that I can pass along all the great things that I learn everyday on damage control for our wonderful bodies. It is tough to keep up sometimes with all the things going on in our daily lives so hopefully some of the helpful hints that I provide can make your life easier and healthier. I welcome your comments and tips as well! I am a vegetarian, animal rights advocate and avid animal rescuer.
View my complete profile
Google
 
2009-04-06

Slim And Trim With These 8 Superfoods!

Wouldn’t it be nice if we could eat things that are healthy and that we like and still lose weight? Below are some superfoods that your body will thank you for.

Olive Oil-I personally take a teaspoon a day as well as drizzle this on salads and pasta. Olive oil has healthy fat that increases satiety, taming your appetite. It is also know to have anti-inflammatory properties and chronic inflammation in the body is linked to metabolic syndrome.

Buckwheat Pasta- This pasta is high in fiber and, unlike most carbs, contains protein. This makes it hard to overeat buckwheat pasta over regular pasta.

Quinoa
-This whole grain is packed with fiber and protein, a nutrient combo than can keep you satisfied for hours.

Blueberries-these berries have the highest antioxidant level of all the commonly consumed fruit and deliver lots of fiber. “Fiber may actually prevent some of the fat you eat from being absorbed because fiber pulls fat through digestive tract”.

Almond Butter-May lower bread’s glycemic index (which measures food’s effect on blood sugar). A study from the University of Toronto found that people who ate almonds with white bread didn’t experience the same blood sugar surges as those who ate only the slice. This is great news because blood sugar changes cause the body to make insulin, which can increase abdominal fat.”

Plain Yogurt-
Has a trifecta of carbs, protein and fat that can help stave off hunger by keeping blood sugar levels steady. In a study from the University of Tennessee at Knoxville, people on a low-calorie diet that included yogurt lost 61 percent more fat overall and 81 percent more belly fat than those on a similar plan but without the yogurt. I love plain yogurt with fresh or frozen berries on top!

Pomegranate Seeds-they are loaded with folate and disease-fighting antioxidants, they’re low in calories and high in fiber. They can satisfy your sweet tooth without blowing your diet.

Eggs-Egg protein is filling prompting you to eat less during the day. Women on a low-calorie diet who ate an egg with and jelly each morning lost twice as many pounds as those who had a bagel breakfast with the same number of calories but no eggs, a study from Louisiana State University in Baton Rouge reports.

I know that I am going to start including more of these in my diet and see what happens!

18 comments:

Sandi said...
I need to include more of all of these in my diet. I love blueberries. That one should be easy :)
I mix plain yogurt with my Kashi cereal in the morning.. it is really filling and yummy too! I have to try the teaspoon of olive oil.. Doesn't it aid in digestion too?
Bill said...
More great info here. This is why i always enjoy coming here. I like yogurt but i like the one with fruit in it. Have a great Week Hedi.
Maria said...
I use olive oil all the time. Now I feel so much better! Hope all is well.
BeadedTail said...
I need to add some of these to my diet. I don't care for plain yogurt but when you mentioned berries on top, that sounds appealing!
Mike Foster said...
Just had a tasty bowl of Quinoa today with olive oil on top and a little low sodium soy sauce.
Great list, Heidi!

peace,
mike
livelife365
Davida said...
You always deliver great, practical health advice! Thanks for letting us know we can eat things we love and still get adequate nutrition.

Davida
Jan said...
I am also trying pasta and olive oil. Your post is so helpful. Thanks for sharing.
Sherer said...
Heidi,

Very nice post here. I havent been by in a while and I apologize - things have been crazy - both good and bad. However, glad to be back reading!

Jesse
Swubird said...
health Nut:

Eat all you want, be super healthy, and never gain an ounce. Wouldn't that be perfect?

It's funny, my Queen and I were just talking about this subject, in particular, oils. We love olive oil on our salads and with the various other things we cook up. But oil is a fragile substance. It begins to turn rancid from the moment it is produced. Too rancid, and you get a flurry of bad little molecules floating around in your system like neutrons in an atomic explosion. Bad skin, tissue and organ damage and rapid aging can all result. The idea is to know your oils, keep them cool, even refrigerated, don't use to excess and be quick to throw out old oil - no matter how expensive it was.

Tha's my two cents.

Happy trails.
skywind said...
Food and health are closely related to us.
Health information
Humor & Fun World
Waterrose said...
Thanks for the list...a reminder. There is a great place close to me that has the best olive oil that they produce. If you're looking for some great olive oil, just visit Queen Creek Olive Mill...I think they mail order. i have no affiliation with them...except I love the product.
Tammy said...
Thanks for the tips! :o)
Dori said...
All great tips as always Heidi! I'm going to have to give that buckwheat pasta a try. I get my olive oil a lot more these days...I've made an effort of having more since I read it here. Thanks for all that you do Heidi :)
SpinDiva said...
Olive oil is my best friend. I use it instead of butter on toast, on my eggs, and to cook whatever needs a little oil. Great list.
I will have to try buckwheat pasta, I enjoy my plain yogurt with berries :) Yummy... You always offer wonderful advice. Be well :)
EastCoastLife said...
I need to include these food in my diet from now on. I don't eat these.

Happy Easter Heidi and family!
ssgreylord said...
thanks for keeping us on track, heidi. couldn't be as healthy as i am today without you... xxoo

Post a Comment